Thursday, April 17, 2008

Better Late Than Never

I guess I should preface my first post by stating that I actually applied to medical school once before. I know you are thinking that this would pretty much nullify the whole concept of middle age medical school since I had applied once before at the ripe young age of 25. I like to pretend like that whole event actually never took place. It was one of the more depressing, emotionally and financially draining events of my life. Looking back I now know that I was completely unprepared for the task at hand. Maturity or the lack there of was one factor in my demise. I had a less than stellar GPA coming out of one of the top California universities. This can be contributed to the fact that I was easily distracted (aka partied too much), and I worked like a maniac to pay my way through school (aka poor family). Unfortunately for me the admissions committees don't take sob stories into account when looking at applicants. So now with fresh eyes and new gusto for life almost seven years later, I will be reapplying to medical school. The concept for this site came to fruition after I realized that there weren't that many resources available to non-traditional students out there, and what was available could only be found through considerable sleuthing. I also feel that this process is so emotionally draining that there should be some kind of support group in place to vent our frustrations. So with much trepidation and procrastination I give you Middle Age Medical School.
Photo Courtesy of: http://home.tiscali.dk/8x070493/traffic/enprintr.htm

1 comment:

cata said...
This comment has been removed by the author.