Monday, April 28, 2008

Residency Salaries

I started obsessing about how many years it takes to become an MD, so I was comforted by the statistics I found for the mean salary of residencies nationwide. It's not as bad as I thought. Although residencies are the equivalent of hell-week spread out over 3 plus years, at least we are compensated for our work. I found out there are also many perks besides just the salary. I know this is premature, but it is something to look forward to following four or more years of school. The 2007 Mean stipends in United States for a MD Resident (also called house-staff) from any specialty were as follows:

  • 1st Year (PGY1 / Intern ): $44,000

  • 2nd Year (PGY2): $46,000

  • 3rd Year (PGY3): $48,000

  • 4th Year (PGY4): $52,000/-

  • 5th Year (PGY5): $54,000/-

  • 6th Year (PGY6): $54,000/-
Note: These are means based on a national survey by the AAMC - the actual figures can vary by $3,000 to $4000 on either side of the mean, an at times more.
Info Provided By: http://mdsalaries.blogspot.com/2005/10/residency-salaries.html

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello, I was just wondering why you stopped writing after the mid of 2008? Are you still in med school or have you finished?